Sunday, December 31, 2017

I Go On An Adventure

Chatham County Stonehenge
Or...I find Stonehenge then get totally lost. Me and Mikey went to Weaver Street (hippie co-op) for breakfast yesterday, then he went to the studio and I decided to take the dogs for a walk. I wanted to take advantage of the fact that this was going to be the only warm day for the next week. We started walking in the wooded area behind the house. I found this stone circle and took a picture. We went way back into the woods and I lost my sense of direction, which is not very good on the best of days. The dogs abandoned me and I marched onward until I came to a clearing. It looked like a powerline right of way but I didn't see any powerlines. There were a lot of "private property, no trespassing, no hunting signs" but no sign of civilization. I was actually hoping someone would come and arrest me. I did see 3 deer blinds and one pile of deer corn and pumpkins. Obviously the hunters are ignoring the signs.

Walking in the clearing was a lot easier than stumbling through the woods, so I followed the right of way figuring I would eventually come to a road or a house or something familiar. Besides, it would be easier to find my corpse in the open country, if things should get to that point. I walked for MILES. At least it felt like miles. I thought about this book I read "Grandma Gatewood's Walk" about a 66 year old woman who walked the entire Appalachian Trail alone in 1957. I also thought about a story I read about a woman fleeing the Nazi's during the war with her tiny children in the snow. Kind of made me feel like a wimp. Thank the Lord baby Jesus I had a phone with me (which is odd because I NEVER take it with me on walks)...but I was getting concerned nevertheless.

Eventually I saw some houses in a new development of McMansions. I cut across the field and found some dude blowing leaves off his driveway. I flagged him down, "This is weird, but can you tell me where I am?" He told me Big Woods Road was "that way." Go a mile and half and take a left at the circle. Well, that was one LONG mile and a half. Up and down hills and after what had to be 50 miles I found the circle. Naturally there were 2 left turns off the circle. I found a woman walking her dog and got more directions. When I got to a corner with some street signs I called Mal. He was at Tops getting a coke at the moment so he couldn't look up the streets. I told him I'd call him back when I got to another street. I walked another 150 miles and finally, finally, finally found Big Woods Road. Mal then came and rescued me. Good thing too because I was exhausted. First thing I did when I got home (after going to the bathroom) was to look up my trek on google maps. Quite the adventure. It makes for an interesting story to tell the grandkids someday. In the meantime I am prepared to be miserably sore for the next several days. Somebody bring me some Motrin!

No comments:

Post a Comment