Friday, December 29, 2017

Current Obsession


journals in use at the moment
I always have to have some sort of creative outlet. That's how I'm wired. I usually do art projects or crochet or some variety of craftsy things, but lately I haven't been feeling like "arting" so I've been doing more writing. I have been writing since I was a child. I remember writing and illustrating stories in elementary school. I have a lively internal, imaginative life--which makes up for my dull, plodding, external real life. I've keep diary type journals most of my life. Unfortunately I was so afraid of someone stumbling across my journals and discovering all my deep, dark secrets that I destroyed them. I became seriously interested in journaling again when Mom got sick and I needed to process my feelings. I have a bunch of journals from those terrible years stashed away. I haven't had the stomach to look at them. Maybe someday I'll write about Alzheimers, but it's still an open wound right now. A couple of years ago I discovered this huge, incredible journaling community online. I felt like what's his name discovering the lost continent of Atlantis. I felt vindicated and less of a freak. I jumped in with both feet. Right now I'm using a variety of notebooks because I can't settle on just one.
my Hobonichi,the holy grail
 At work I'm using disc bound planers. I have one Arc (from Staples) and a Tul (from Office Depot). They are handy because the pages are easily removable and I can move them around as needed. I have a Midori travelers notebook. The original and my first "real" notebook. I love it. It is made of high quality leather and is aging beautifully. I am using it just for art journaling at the moment because it didn't work too well as a planner for me. I have a Field Notes size travelers notebook for my Weight Watchers food tracking and general on the go notes. I love Field Notes. So cute. I actually have several Field Notes size covers to alternate as my mood changes. I'm using a plain dot grid A5 notebook for my written journal. The 2018 notebook is Essentials from Peter Pauper press. This is my 2nd one. I like the quality and the price is great. And lastly for 2018 I'll be using the Hobonichi Techo Cousin for all my planning and most of my journaling. Mal picked it up for me in Japan. I was lusting after if for several months before I decided to take the plunge. It's so awesome and Japanesey! The design is wonderful and the Tomoe River paper is amazing. It is super thin and yet holds up to fountain pen.
So, to make this journey complete, I joined a Meet-Up group in the area called Cafe Journaling. We get together a couple times a month to journal and talk and show off our latest paper and pen purchases. I've found my tribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment