Friday, September 18, 2020

Chickens

The neighbors chickens come around a couple of times a day now looking for a handout, which I am more than happy to supply. I LOVE seeing them pecking and scratching in the yard. 💓

I think they started out with 12 chicks, but due to the dangers that free range birds face, they are down to 7. They are such an adorable little family. 

That rooster is a great daddy. I understand that roosters are really only good for 2 things--fertilizing hens and protecting the flock. I must say this guy is great at both of those. I was worried that my dogs would frighten them, but the rooster won't let anyone or anything near his family. 

I have wanted chickens for a long time, but this is the best of all worlds. I can enjoy them and don't have to pay for feed or arrange for a coop. 

This is how all chickens should live. Free to roam and do their own thing. It brings me a lot of joy to watch them.  
 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son has chickens, he loves them and he has eggs to eat too :P. Some of his chickens will sit and some will not. Tho they are a bit relaxing to watch they are good predators themselves, they will catch and eat mice, mini raptors :)

    ReplyDelete