Monday, April 24, 2017

the Accidental Gardener

BCBSNC gardeners
I love that I work for a company that actively encourages community service. Several of us from the Medical Policy/Medical Review departments went to the Geer Street Learning Garden in Durham on April 20 to help out with the spring plantings. The garden is located on a vacant lot near downtown. The food grown there is given to the local food pantry. It's a transition neighborhood with lots of great stuff going on. The Back Pack Buddies have a space across the street as well as TROSA. Both of them are awesome programs. We prepared 2 beds for planting and mulched another bed. It was hard work-I am not accustomed to physical labor-but it was very rewarding. The weather was cool and cloudy in the morning...perfect for me. I don't do well with hot and sunny. The full-time ladies at the garden were incredible. It is so encouraging to learn that there are a lot of good people out there doing good work. My opinion of humanity has improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment